<VV> Distributor rebuild

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 11:58:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/25/2008 7:37:31 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
vairologist at verizon.net writes:

The  Distributor housing is thoroughly cleaned and then machined
for a second  oilite bushing at the base. With two bushings, the shaft is
stabilized,  effectively eliminating dwell variation. These bushings
are line bored to  be in perfect alignment.---------------------Smitty says:
 I  seriously doubt the value of installing a second bushing in a
distributor.  The bottom of the shaft where it is tapered may not be the  finest fit but
it would have to be horribly sloppy to allow an influence on  dwell like the
normal bushing does when it is worn.  All a second bushing  does is prevent
lubricating oil from getting to the normal bushing.  All  arguments to the
contrary will receive the same answer.  You Are  Wrong.  ggg

I won't argue with you, Smitty. I do want to add another point. The Corvair
already has a lower bushing, the aluminum in the rear housing that locates the
 bottom of the shaft as it slips into the oil pump. If the upper bushing is
good  and the aluminum hole is okay. That is why I don't recommend the
"double-bushing" distributor rebuild. Also possible, however is the modification  to
the housing that allows a sealed ball bearing to be placed in the housing
replacing the upper bushing. DALE has done several of these for me. This does
two things, first it allows a ball bearing fit for the shaft - no play at all -
and it is supported just underneath the advance mechanism. Second, it keeps
oil  from entering the housing top, slowing down the contamination of the
points and  advance mechanism. We had to drill a drain hole in the racing
distributors in  the 70s because of pressure build-up in the crankcase would blow oil
by the  bushing. One final note. With two bushings in the distributor and
another in the  rear housing, how well aligned would three bushings be? - Seems
like they would  self correct - or is that "wear-in" eventually. - Seth  Emerson