<VV> Distributor rebuild

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Sep 25 16:37:51 EDT 2008

Hi Kids - And time marches on - I too had reservations about the double
bushing distributors until I learned 2 things - The first person to make
double bushing rebuilt distributors an item was Dave Langsather of Dale
Manufacturing. When those went on the market Corvair consumers started
to DEMAND double bushing distributors. 2) After having hundreds of them
in service the past 30+ years I have never heard or seen of one that
seized up.

Unlike many Corvair vendors, past and present, I have a strong
machinist/manufacturing backround. There are some rules you don't
violate in design. One of them is to put three bushing/bearing points on
a shaft - unless of course you can guarrantee perfect alignment at all
times. Obvious exceptions to this would be when the shaft is either
heavy enough, long enough, or under severe lateral stress where it might
create sag or deflection. The Corvair distributor shaft has none of
those requirements. It's light, short and sits nearly vertical. And
everyone is right when they say (as I have all along as well) that the
steel insert at the oil pump is a bushing. That's 3 bushings - you don't
want to do that - except........

Dave Langsather is a college trained (with a degree) mechanical
engineer. He holds more credentials than probably all of us vendors
combined (that certainly includes me too). He knew from the beginning it
would work - and SURPRISE - it does. Would I be happy if we could start
doing all our rebuilt distributors with only the top bushing? Of course
I would. (one less bushing to buy and machine/fit). But I'm afraid.

Seth (and others) keep telling everyone on the internet that double
bushing distributors are a bad idea. Like so many other ideas/theories
(both right and wrong) people will start to accept it because it's on VV
or Corvairforum.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com