<VV> 1964 Engine compartment wiring diagram

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 23:32:18 EDT 2008

Need some help from harness and wiring diagram savvy folks:

When I look at the wiring diagram (Fig 8-33 in the 1964 supplement) it shows the Spyder (600) tach wired from the coil (-) terminal to what looks like a tach in the engine compartment with a 20 BRN wire, then a 20 B/P wire from the "tach" to the front engine shield, suggesting it goes through the shield through a separate grommet.

It also shows a 10-slot connector (with 9 of the slots used) as the "Big connector" between the engine compartment harness and the main harness.

When I look in the Assembly manual sheet A8.00 (Turgo-charger-engine compartment wiring) it looks like the coil has 1 Yellow/black wire to the coil positive and 1 black wire to the coil negative post. I see NO tach wire.

None of this seems to resemble what is in the actual cars.

My daughter's Spyder appears to have an original harness. The brown tach wire goes from the coil into the harness running along the back rail, then presumably through the big connector at the left front corner of the engine compartment. I don't remember how many slots I counted in that connector.

My 1964 Monza has an 8 slot connector, not 10 slot per the diagram. The "mongrel" I'm working on, and the new harness for a 1964, both have 8 slot connectors.

My questions:

- What is the correct tach wiring for a 1964 Spyder?
- Is the 8-slot connector correct for 1964 Cars (Spyder or otherwise)?
- Is the correct wiring actually documented correctly anywhere?

Thanks!

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on