<VV> 1964 Engine compartment wiring diagram

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 27 13:54:25 EDT 2008

I have looked at three cars, my 1964 Monza Sedan, Spyder Convertible,
and Spyder Coupe.
 I have also looked at the 1964 Supplement on page 8-26.

None of the cars agree with the shop manual supplement! All three cars
have the 8 pin connector on the main wiring harness at the firewall.

The Spyder coupe has been hacked by a guy in MD, so let's ignore the
wrong starter plug on that one! Now I know why there is an added wire to
the harness....

The Monza sedan has the 8 pin connector on the main harness and a two
pin connector on the starter harness. This two pin has the 12 awg purple
(12 PPL) on one terminal and two wires on the other terminal, 20 awg
black yellow (20 B/Y) and a fabric covered resistor wire (20 B/P). The (
) notations are the shop manual markings.

The Spyder Convertible has the 8 pin connector on the main harness, and
two more two pin connectors and a single pin connector. The first two
pin connector is, like the sedan, the starter harness and has the same
wires as above. The second tow pin connector has the terminals at right
angles, instead of tandem like the starter connector. These two
terminals have one wire each. A 20 awg black, I did not see a tracer but
it might exist, and a 20 awg green. I am GUESSING these are the separate
temperature switch and oil pressure wires, as on a Spyder they are run
separately to the dash, instead of one wire as on non-Spyders. Of course
I just remembered one of these is the tach wire! The green wire is the
temperature switch wire. So the oil pressure wire is probably in the
same position in the 8 pin connector as non-Spyder cars. The Single pin
connector is the temperature sender gage wire that goes down the front
of the engine to the thermister.

The colors may be slightly wrong ( black and brown look the same in bad
light).

I hope this helps.

So why did GM use an 8 pin connector instead of the 10 pin in the
manual? Just to keep us guessing??

Frank DuVal