<VV> Tie rods..

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Fri Sep 26 07:18:24 EDT 2008

Tony,

I never met a tie rod sleeve I couldn't get loose..one way or another!
In the past I have buggered them up with a pipe wrench, vise grips, cold
chisel and other tools but, the correct wrench (Clarks and others) makes it
easier and saves the piece. I find it's a lot easier to work on these
rascals by removing them from the car and use a bench vise but, it is
sometimes a hassle to get the rod ends out of the steering arms. I have
removed it all by unbolting the steering arms, pitman arm and idler arm and
remove the whole mess for easy access!
Usually a good penetrant and elbow grease will loosen them up but if the
rust is really bad heat will be your friend. A common propane torch with
MAPP gas available from Lowes or Homie D pot which burns hotter than propane
will do the trick. After removal I clean all the rust out, bead blast and
paint them. Upon reinstallation I apply some anti seize compound to the
threads and they are good to go. The clamps are usually reusable but I
always replace the bolts and nuts. Also you can replace the sleeves with a
set made from stainless steel available from the vendors. I have done this
several of my cars but the stainless is heavier.

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com