<VV> Tie rods..

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 20:36:20 EDT 2008

 Hi Tony,

If he could not loosen the sleeves, perhaps it's due to rust that gets into
the threads on the sides, where the sleeves compress.

But the best way to remove rusted sleeves is to heat the threaded ends of
the sleeves with a torch, to the point that the steel tube becomes red.

At this point, they can be easily unthreaded and the new tie rods installed.
However, you can judge for yourself, if they free up enough with the torch,
to simply squirt a bit of oil on the threads, let everything cool and then
complete the alignment.

Chances are, unless your car is really rusty, the sleeves are still the
original thickness and can simply be wire-brushed and painted after the
final
toe-in adjustment.

Regards, Mel