<VV> Hot vs. Cold plugs...

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 00:25:05 EDT 2009

  Just about everyone has heard that plugs have heat ratings, and are
  called "hot" or "cold" types. Some people think that means the plug
  either makes the engine run hot or cold, which is completely wrong.

  The amount of heat a plug brings into an engine due to the electrical
  sparks is so small it's insignificant. The amount of heat a plug removes
  from an engine is also small.

  Those ratings - "hot" and "cold" - mean simply this: a plug becomes very
  hot in an engine, so we say it's a hot-running plug - or just hot. Another
  plug doesn't reach such a high temperature, so we say it's a
  cold-running plug - or just cold...

  ...The main difference between hot-running and cold-running plugs is the
  length of the insulator nose...

  ...Fouling due to a too-cold plug is much better than pre-ignition due
  to a too-hot plug...

  ----

  Source:

  http://www.superhunky.com/articles/SparkPlug.php