<VV> No Corvair but GM tech question

Harry Yarnell hyarnell1 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 17 11:51:38 EDT 2009

I am VERY familar with this problem and its solution; I've done many. Just
finished a '98 Eldo and there's a '97 STS waiting for the time I can get to
it.
The Northstar eats headgaskets for breakfast.
 Great engine, but this is its weakness.
$4900 is a bit high, but not out of the realm of the dealership.
$3000 is more reasonable. Most of it's labor.
Now here's the rub; when you remove the headbolts, they take the threads
right out of the block. It's an aluminum engine.
Like the Corvair (required content), the powertrain MUST come out the
bottom; actually the whole powertrain cradle's dropped.
Tyme-serts are used to replace the 20 headbolt holes in the block; I can do
3 an hour, so it's a 7 hour (non-stop) job just to replace the block
threads.
I've sent the heads to the machine shop to be freshened up and checked for
straightness, but probably not  necessary, but prudent. They really look
decent right off the engine.
Headset will set you back $250; the inserts are a $100.New headbolts are
about $120. New bolts are required, as the headbolt tightening sequence is
to tighten to 30#, then 30°, then 30°, then 30°. There's some bolt
stretching in here.

Harry Yarnell
Perryman garage and orphanage
Perryman, MD