<VV> Seats - Autocross Classification

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Aug 5 08:07:55 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:00 PM, P.H. Raker wrote:

> Hello, all you know-it-alls,
>      If the seats in a Corvair have been changed from original to a
> non-'Vair seat, will that automatically put the vehicle into
> Improved Stock, even though the design of the seats will give no
> performance advantage (no extra lateral support)?  To put it another
> way, can  vehicle whitch is otherwise stock, but has non-'Vair seats
> in it, still compete in Street Stock?  Does it make any difference
> if the Corvair is an FC?
>      "Inquiring minds want to know."

This is an interesting question. I have seen the other replies that
said that you would go to Improved Stock. I disagree.

In the "CORSA National Autocross Rules revision 6.0 february 2008", http://www.corvair.org/pdf/autox_v6.pdf
    it clearly reads:

8.1 Street Stock Class
Street Stock Class must run as delivered from the factory except as
follows:

There follows a list of nine allowed modifications such as .060
overbore, dual mufflers, and 70-series tires. Nothing is listed about
interior modifications. Since it says nothing, it means none are
allowed. As it pertains to your FC, this must mean that even a Spyder
dash would move you to Improved Stock, right? Well...

Under 8.2 Improved Stock Class, it reads:

9. Interior changes: Front seats may be replaced by other seats which
are fully upholstered.

There is where your seat change is listed. So, if you change seats you
go to IS, right? Well, not really.

You must look at ALL the rules to clarify the situation. The rules are
meant to be taken as a body of work in totality and not just have a
line or two pulled from them to interpret them.

Again under 8.1 Street Stock Class, point 9. reads:

9. Insignificant performance enhancing or reliability enhancing
changes that do not noticeably change the appearance or function of
the vehicle are allowed. Examples are but not limited to: hidden
electronic ignition modules, slightly smaller steering wheels (within
2 in. of stock 16″ outside diameter), dress-up valve covers and oil
pans, electric fuel pumps, alternators, lower shroud removal, and
compression change due to cleanup machining. etc.

Note that this list includes "insignificant performance enhancing or
reliability enhancing changes". It does not include seats, which would
only be classified as "performance enhancing" if they were lightweight
seats. Please note, WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT LIGHTWEIGHT RACING SEATS
HERE. We are talking about fully-upholstered passenger car or truck
seats.

There are simply too many potential changes possible in a vehicle to
list every one and whether or not it is allowed. Stock classes in the
autocross are not the same as stock classes in the concourse. Typical
modifications are allowed that do not affect performance, including
Spyder dashes and fully upholstered replacement seats.

Backing up to section 6. Event Operating Rules, it reads:

6.15 Accessories: Aftermarket accessories and/or modifications that
have negligible contributions to autocross performance will be allowed
in any or all classes. For example: spoilers, finned valve covers and
pans, lower shrouds removed.

Also note the "Car Classification Form" shown on page 15 of the rules.
It is a GENERAL guide to whether or not you fit into Stock or Improved
Stock. It contains nothing about changing seats as you have.

Finally, section 6. reads:

6.16 Final Authority: The Chairman of the CORSA Competition Committee,
or other designated individual(s) has final authority in all matters
pertaining to the implementation and interpretation of these rules at
the CORSA National Autocross Championships.

I am copying Warren LeVeque, Chairman of the Competition Committee,
and asking him to review this e-mail and confirm my opinion. I am also
copying Seth Emerson who, like I, has been instrumental in the
Autocross rules revisions. I think Seth authored the latest 6.0
revision. He may wish to voice an opinion on this too.

Finally, as has been mentioned, when you enter a CORSA autocross,
whether at a convention, a mini-convention or a club autocross being
run under the national rules, you classify your own vehicle. It is up
to a protester to move you from your chosen class. I assure you, you
will find many vehicles running in stock classes with the kind of
modification you have and no one will protest because your change is
not performance enhancing or disallowed by the rules.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina