<VV> Seats - Autocross Classification

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Aug 5 11:08:44 EDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Bryan Blackwell wrote:

> Bruce makes a good point - Smitty already wrote me a note about this
> as well.  I would contend, however, that a fully bolstered seat,
> even if not an lighter than stock, is a performance improvement.
>
> In the case of Phil's seats, if they are some flavor of fairly flat
> OEM style seat, I'd agree that they fit in the spirit of the rule.
> If he's installed seats out of a special edition something that fit
> like a glove, it's a performance improvement.

I disagree, Bryan. A bolstered seat of any type, as long as it is not
a significant weight reduction, certainly fits in the following
categories:

9. Insignificant performance enhancing or reliability enhancing
changes that do not noticeably change the appearance or function of
the vehicle are allowed. Examples are but not limited to: hidden
electronic ignition modules, slightly smaller steering wheels (within
2 in. of stock 16″ outside diameter), dress-up valve covers and oil
pans, electric fuel pumps, alternators, lower shroud removal, and
compression change due to cleanup machining. etc.

6.15 Accessories: Aftermarket accessories and/or modifications that
have negligible contributions to autocross performance will be allowed
in any or all classes. For example: spoilers, finned valve covers and
pans, lower shrouds removed.

Also, I remind you of the following performance improvements that are
specifically allowed in stock classes:

1. Overbore with stock cylinder barrels is allowed. 3.4975″ (stock + .
060″) maximum
2. Dual mufflers are allowed on any vehicle. Any replacement mufflers
(no updating of stock type) may be used; stock manifolds are required.
3. Any wheel rims may be used as long as they meet these
specifications. The following diameter wheels are allowed for cars:
13″ and 14″, with no wheel exceeding 6″ in width, and no change
in offset exceeding 1/4″. Forward Controls are allowed 14″ or 15″
wheels only, with no wheel exceeding 6″ in width.
4. For classes SS-1 through SS-4, any DOT tire with an aspect ratio of
70 or above, a wear rating 180 or above, and measuring 23″ diameter
or larger, unloaded at 32 psi, is allowed. Tires must fit the wheels
with no interference with the body work or suspension. For class SS-5,
any DOT tire with an aspect ratio of 70 or above, a wear rating 180
and above, and measuring 24.5″ diameter or larger unloaded at 32 psi
is allowed.
5. Chassis changes to improve safety and handling may be made provided
these changes do not exceed factory optional equipment specifications,
dimensions and attachment points. Camber compensators are permitted on
swing axle vehicles. Any replacement shock absorber of stock or
factory optional type may be fitted provided that it attaches to the
standard mounting points without alteration.
6. Yenko Stingers or Fitch Sprints must return to stock Corvair
powertrain specifications to compete in Street Stock class, including
the tire/wheel allowances above.
7. All chassis of the same type (early or late) are considered the
same. Updating and backdating of bolt-on production suspension
components is allowed.
8. All cars are allowed to modify the carburetor venting for cornering
only, and baffle the oil pan and/or pushrod tubes in an inconspicuous
manner to prevent harm to the cars.
9. Insignificant performance enhancing or reliability enhancing
changes that do not noticeably change the appearance or function of
the vehicle are allowed. Examples are but not limited to: hidden
electronic ignition modules, slightly smaller steering wheels (within
2 in. of stock 16″ outside diameter), dress-up valve covers and oil
pans, electric fuel pumps, alternators, lower shroud removal, and
compression change due to cleanup machining. etc.

Bryan, you can't seriously tell me you would run IS if you had
aftermarket seats in your dead-stock concours vehicle, when my stock
class vehicle is bored +.060, runs dual straight-through mufflers, 13"
x 6" wheels with 23", 70 series tires wear rated at 180, Koni shocks,
vented carbs, a 14" steering wheel, electronic ignition, electric fuel
pump, and bumped compression.

Certainly LOTS of Corvairs that had non-stock seats have run in stock
classes. This fellow can certainly run stock with his FC and not worry
about it.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman