<VV> Freaking newbies...

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Aug 19 12:47:31 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I considered a different reply to this thread.  But that would be too
easy.

Instead, a wagon update - you see, I am a newbie when it comes to
earlies.  But I'm learning :-)  The brakes are very nearly done, just
need to grease the front bearings and install the drums, tighten the
master cylinder lines, then bleed the system.  To recap:

Patient is a '62 700 wagon

  - Dual master cylinder installed
  - New shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware
  - Converted to self adjusters
  - Front wheel cylinders are 1" to move balance somewhat to the front

Second project is replacing the bench seat with "Awesome Racing Seats"
found on Craigslist:

  - 1/8" angle iron full width of the car bolted to the stock mounting
holes
  - 1/8" angle from the seat adjusters to the cross rails
  - Grade 8 hardware throughout.  Pricey, but I want this to be better
than a few installs I've seen.

We bought (hopefully) the last of the bolts last night.  I've taken
some photos along the way, once it's all together I'll put up a page
on the project.

Still need to rebuild the carbs and tune it up, but we (Trevor and I)
are getting close.  We're also looking around at wheels and tires (we
both agree that the stock wheels just won't do :-)  I missed out on a
set of 15 x 6's on Craigslist, but there are some interesting 15"
choices on e-Bay.  I think once it's running he'll be nagging us to go
get his learner's.

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa