<VV> Dir`s Com - now "Fixed Incomes" - NO CORVAIR

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Fri Dec 4 09:57:48 EST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:07 AM, al hilderbrand wrote:

> Just to clarify Chucks comment on Corvair Atlanta (CAI), as you can
> see
> his Proposal was not agreed with by 5 other members and agreed with by
> just 2, him being 1 of them. His proposal was that ALL new members
> must join Corsa and continue membership as long as they were CAI
> members. Current  CAI members who were NOT members of Corsa
> would not be required to join Corsa. Current members who were also
> Corsa Members would be REQUIRED to be Corsa members as
> long as they stayed CAI members. They would be required to drop
> out of CAI if they failed to maintain Corsa membership.
>
> I'm an officer of CAI,  Corsa member and 1 of the 5 that voted
> against it.
> If this would have passed, I think I would have canceled my Corsa
> membership
> before the first of the year. I have my own idea's about why Americans
> should not Require people to join a club. My vote on Chucks proposal
> and
> CAI's position on the proposal was, Corvair people are for the most
> part
> on fixed incomes,

*SNIP*

Every time I hear someone moaning about being on a "fixed income" I
want to scream.

I realize many of you are retired, as I am. If those of you who are
retired were able to do some retirement planning you should have
planned for inflation. If you didn't, you're in a lot of trouble.

Most retired people live on some or all of the following:

Social Security - a guaranteed income which gives guaranteed annual
cost of living increases.

Pensions - guaranteed income which pay in various ways, sometimes
fixed, which really mean they decline with inflation. If you were able
to invest your pension in something that will appreciate, it should
keep up with inflation. If not, you should have invested other money
in something that will fill the void of your declining pension.

Investments - Again, I hope you have your money invested wisely to
handle inflation. If so, this too is guaranteed income.

Now, let's see what working people live on, the lucky working people
that don't have to worry about money because they aren't on this
"fixed income":

Salary - may or may not get a raise or promotion or cost of living
adjustment. Not guaranteed because they may get laid off or fired at
any moment.

Unemployment - if you've lost your job, you'll probably get guaranteed
unemployment compensation for a while. Then you may be living in your
Corvair or will have to spend what you had set aside for your
retirement "fixed income".

Social Security - if you have lost your spouse or are disabled or
something you may get a small Social Security check. This will go a
long way toward funding your collector car hobby.

Profit - you may own a company or work for yourself or something and
get to give yourself a nice fat salary or just pocket the profit your
company makes. Then again, somebody may put you out of business or
you'll go broke and have too file for bankruptcy.

Commission, royalties, etc. - you may be in sales or freelance or
something similar and get a small salary plus commission or even just
commission. You may freelance or create things for royalties. You
never know how much you'll make. Feast or famine. Hope it's mostly
feast.

Now, does being retired and living on a fixed, essentially guaranteed
income sound so bad?

Your mileage may vary.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug