<VV> Who will do it? :)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 4 22:56:19 EST 2009

Well, there you go, someone who'll do part of it.  I forgot about that
post.

Now, not to pick on Tony (really):

He's volunteering to be part of the team.  What we need is exactly
*one* person to drive the project.  We often complain in the US about
too much management, but there is a need for one person to be the
project manager, which roughly means the rest of the team hates you
until the project is complete.  If it looks good when done they think
you're great, and if it doesn't they keep on hating you (not entirely
a joke here).  I think in this particular case there is such a person,
but I'll let him post for himself ;-)

My suggestion would be that an OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
scan is the way to go, that way the text is searchable.  Having images
of each page is somewhat useful, but searching is limited to whatever
tagging gets done.  Text, OTOH, can be indexed and searched however
you like.  I know some scanners ship with OCR software, but be aware
that it likely will require cleanup.  Off the cuff, I'd guess scanning
the photos at 600 DPI would be good, but what would be better would be
to do a couple test scans and put them up and see what looks good,
then use that.  Although kind of ugly, the simple way to store it all
would be in a Wiki.

Now, if the preceding paragraph doesn't mean much, none of it is more
complicated than a Rochester HV :-)

Oh, yeah, this should be in the members section.

--Bryan