<VV> Sparky

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 23:12:58 EST 2009

> From: "Ken Maxwell" <kobramax at insightbb.com>
> > I just got my 66 Monza running again this evening and
> noticed a spark jumping from the harmonic balancer to the front of the
> engine. It is constant and makes a popping noise as the engine runs.
> I do not have the ground straps reinstalled yet. Any ideas?
Smitty Says;  Seen it plenty of times before Ken.  Don't worry about it.  It is static.  Most usually seen jumping from the center of the damper across to the outer ring.  The fan belt builds up a charge on the pulley ring untill it gets high enough to jump to a ground.  In your case the bonding rubber between the two parts must be a heck of a good insulator for the spark to jump to the engine. Sometimes rubbing a little powdered graphite speedo cable lube on the bonding rubber will bleed it off.