<VV> Hardtops WAS It's time

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Dec 9 10:13:17 EST 2009

Yep, but that top looked VERY added on.  I was not thinking of a removable top.  My thought was to have the rear edge to the top quite close to the engine compartment lid and be one with the body as well as increasing the available headroom.  I have a top hoist for my Corvette ... but ... when on the road the top is not available.  On the Corvette that is OK because there is a convertible top under a cover behind the seat.  The Corvair I had envisioned would have a '62 Impala type back seat without a top mechanism to crowd the passengers, my young [at the time] sons.

At one time Fisher Body had built an EM model with 2 door hardtop styling on one side and the conventional pillar stying on the other.  It would also be fun to duplicate that car :-)
Ken P

***************************************

airvair at earthlink.net wrote:

Ever see the lift-off hardtop for the EM Corvair convertible that some
aftermarket company offered? Similar in idea to the Corvette removable
hardtop for the 'vette convertibles. Interesting, but due to its size
weighed a lot more than was practical. You needed a hoist to lift it off.

-Mark

time the 4 door convertible sedan and the two door convertible coupe body
styles had been mostly dropped leaving only the 2 door convertible sedan.
It was noticed that she never put the top down.  Why order the convertible
model if you do not put the top down?  She liked the lower top silhouette
of the convertible and the no 'B' pillar look with the windows down.
Fisher Body responded with a 'convertible styled hard top' 2 door sedan,
without a 'B' pillar.  Over time the cumbersome name was reduced to hardtop
convertible then to hardtop.  That model was carried through most of Fisher
Body built cars for years.  Again, it was the original basic economy / no
frills car idea that left the EM Corvair without a 'hardtop' model even
though once the convertible sedan was introduced for '62 it would have been
very easy / inexpensive to have offered the 'hardtop' style.  Too bad :-(
I always thought it would be