<VV> Communique, Print vs. Electronic or Both Suggestion

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Thu Dec 10 11:37:32 EST 2009

John:

You missed my smiley, as well as my point about identifying the parts of a
message you are responding to.

You also seem rather fixated on your "fetish" terminology.  I think that
misusing a term is a rather weak, and obvious, rhetorical gimmick which does
nothing to support one's argument.

For your information  <grin>

"Definitions of fetish on the Web:

a form of sexual desire in which gratification depends to an abnormal degree
on some object or item of clothing or part of the body; "common male ...

juju: a charm superstitiously believed to embody magical powers
excessive or irrational devotion to some activity; "made a fetish of
cleanliness"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Something nonsexual, such as an object or a part of the body which arouses
sexual desire or is necessary for one to reach full sexual satisfaction;
Something which is believed to possess, contain, or cause spiritual or
magical powers; an amulet or a talisman; An irrational, or abnormal,
fixation ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fetish

Fetishes is a 1996 documentary by Nick Broomfield filmed at Pandora's Box,
one of New York City's most luxurious SM/fetish parlours. The film contains
interviews with professional dominatrices and their clients including the
New York filmmaker Maria Beatty.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishes_(documentary)

Fetishes - A fetish (from the French fétiche; which comes from the
Portuguese feitiço; and this in turn from Latin facticius, "artificial" and
facere, "to ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishes

An amulet, pendant or charm often representing an animal or person.
www.daysofelegance.com/glossary.html

Used and made by all Southwestern Indian tribes, fetishes are objects which
represent the spirits of animals or the forces of nature. ...
www.collectorsguide.com/fa/fa063.shtml

Inanimate natural or cultural object believed to have magical power, either
from a will of its own or from a God or Goddess that has inbued the ...
witchraven.spruz.com/

Fetish photography is adult in nature but not always sexually explicit, and
generally centers around a main theme. ...
www.seemodelsnow.com/how-zoom-works/glossary.aspx

a term derived from Portuguese sailors’ word for small objects worshipped by
inhabitants of the Guinea coast, now designating any thing irrationally
revered, held in awe or fear, or exciting sexual feelings.
www.shimer.edu/greatbooks_greatart/Glossary.cfm

any object, natural or otherwise, that is believed to contain "power." A
fetish is usually something that is carried on one's person, such as a small
stone from a sacred place, a "medicine pouch" that protects one who is on a
journey, or a weapon (usually a sword) that is believed to be uniquely ...
staff.jccc.net/thoare/glossary.htm

A sexual fixation on a concept, object, or body part. A person with a fetish
feels a compulsive need to use the object in order to obtain sexual
gratification, and cannot achieve pleasure without it. ...
www.ifsha.org/glossary.htm"

If one were to only use the definition that deals with something
irrationally revered it would apply to your reverence for electrons as much
as to someone else's regard for printed paper.

Print is only dead for those who look the other way.  Books, magazines,
snail-mail, the vast majority of business correspondence and Annual Reports
are still presented on paper.

e-Readers come close to the convenience of paper, but are still lacking some
of the conveniences of paper while adding some new features.  PDF files also
have advantages and disadvantages.

There is no perfect medium for presenting textual material, suggesting
otherwise suggests a personal agenda rather than an acceptance of the world
as it exists.

Ken