<VV> Re on-line info

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 11 13:48:08 EST 2009

Hi Mike,

Good point about clubs - I'd say some of both.  The big clubs
certainly contributed a lot to CORSA, but the smaller ones definitely
benefit from people finding out about the chapter via CORSA.  And for
the people who don't have a convenient chapter, CORSA is their contact
to the rest of the community.

Also, there's this whole perception of CORSA as some sort of corporate
entity.  It isn't.  Lots of things are the way they are because of one
or two people who may or may not have been directors.  Case in point
are conventions.  Conventions are run by a host club or group of
clubs.  Yet things that go wrong are generally blamed on CORSA.  There
are many references to the "CORSA business model".  Er, *what*
business?  Yes, it's good to look at how businesses are run, but this
isn't a business.  If the chapter running the convention event screws
something up, it's not like someone's getting fired the next day, and
it's unlikely that person will ever run the event again at a
convention.  Although CORSA looks bad, it's not like it was a CORSA
employee who made the mistake.  Somebody else posted about CORSA
reducing what members get.  Uh, what's been removed?  I see more of
everything, not less.  Sure it costs more, but so does everything
else, even Corvairs.

Mike, you bring up the autocross where you didn't get to run in a
certain class - had you read the rules?  Was the car legal and it was
a bad call?  Did someone from CORSA tell you the car was eligible?  I
showed up at my first autocross with an otherwise bone stock '65 Corsa
with 14" wheels.  The SCCA guys looked at their rulebook and promptly
put me in Modified where I got clobbered by gutted race cars on
slicks.  Not exactly fun, but they were using published rules and I
was at their event.  How is that unfair?

--Bryan