<VV> 62 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible Suspension

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Dec 20 01:52:28 EST 2009

At 08:37 PM 12/19/2009, secmast at aol.com wrote:
>Can any one out there in Corvair Land Help me.  I am new to Corvairs  and
>the car I have purchased appears to have what is left of a Stabilizer System
>on the front suspension.  Can anyone tell where I can find a Picture or
>Diagram of the Suspension, so I can determine what I need to find to return
>the  car to "Factory."

All Corvair Spyders were factory fitted with a front sway bar.  It
was also an option on '62 and '63 ('61 also?) if you asked for
one.  In '64 the front sway bar was standard on all models of Corvair
automobiles and continued to be for the rest of production.

If you're missing a sway bar one can be turned up easily enough,
along with the hardware to mount it if you're missing that as
well.   I assume you still have the stubs on the lower control arms,
and hopefully the bar mounts that bolt to the unibody...?   Through
'63 the Spyders used a 5/8" front sway bar.  In '64 it got larger,
3/4" if I recall.

Missing the bar?  I'd hunt down a '64-up bar.  Plenty of those
around...  the original early 5/8" bar, not so much.  Most only
showed up on Spyders and the scant few other early Corvairs that were
ordered with it, so not many of 'em around.   However, every '64 and
up Corvair had one and thus those bars are likely sitting in the
corners of lots of 'Vair owners' basements here and there.  Ask
around.  Or, check with the vendors who can hook you up with mounting
hardware, mount bushings, sometimes even the bar itself IF they have
one in stock.

tony..