<VV> Crankshaft (bushing) again!

keith osborne vanman453ta at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 21 23:38:01 EST 2009

I just recently installed mine in a rather interesting way-

I drove it in most of the way- but not all the way- with the input shaft and block of wood.

Since I had overhauled the transmission, I left the front bearing cover off, and the small snap ring out of the clutch gear.  I then carefully assembled the transaxle to the engine, and snugged the flywheel housing bolts until the two were completely mated.

Then I gently tapped the end of the input shaft with a large drift until the clutch gear bearing could be seated fully against the transmission housing, then some more until I could insert the snap ring in the clutch gear.  Then, finally, a bit more, to create some clearance.

When I measured the length of the new Clark's bushing, and the depth of
the bore in the end of the crankshaft, it seemed to me that driving it in until it bottomed would be quite a bit too far.  So my thinking in all of this was that the splined area on the end of the input shaft seems mighty small, and I wanted to maintain the maximum engagement possible, while avoiding any binding.

Keith

'68 "Corsa-ized" Monza coupe, two - door, hard top- I'm not sure what it's supposed to be called- with A/C, Autometer gauges fitted within Corsa dash, 140, 4 speed, 3.08 gears, headers, glass packs, dual exhaust, and still not ready to run.