<VV> Suggestions

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 20:45:05 EST 2009

I have not been able to keep up with much of the banter on VV lately due to the recent passing of my wife's mother, but have tried to at least scan the topics. As I am starting to catch up, I have noticed some back and forth about criticism and ideas and such. I am not all that surprised that the same people are finding fault and favor. (People don't ever really change all that much other than the bad ones seem to get worse as they age :-). I am getting to the point in life where I am sharing with my children what my parents shared with me on how to be successful and helpful, and a couple of my favorites are: not to offer criticism without a solution unless specifically asked (as in a rating); and that one of the most powerful things an organization (team, club, or fill in the blank) can do is to set goals that it does not know how to achieve. The later requires that you reengineer/make drastic changes to/etc. how you perceive and do things. If, for example, we decided to double our CORSA membership during the next six months, it would take more than just doing a lot of things better. That is not a real tough one, however, so it might be better to challenge toward doubling our membership AND having a budget surplus :-). Further more, when using other organizations as a comparison, I would prefer we use them as a stepping stone to being the best club in the world rather than copy them.
Grant