<VV> Head's Up: Our ride is about to be bashed again

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Thu Feb 19 21:26:59 EST 2009

This is an unfortunate name for this display.  I can't believe the Petersen
came up with this.  A more appropriate name might be, "Thank Heaven they
were -really- thinking."

Besides the obvious, the Corvair doesn't fit in this list because they made
pert-near 2 million of them.  That's no misfit.  Most of the cars on the
list are excellent automobiles, or were in their time.

I personally helped to prepare the 1906 Adams-Farwell and the 1925 Julian
for display.  The Julian is an aluminum over wood body by Fleetwood, with
mohair and silk interior, a beautiful and well built car.  The Adams-Farwell
has a geared tiller, so as to be able to run over rocks, bricks, and
dogs(says so in the owners manual) and not have the tiller yanked out of
your hand.  It also has a forward compartment in which you can remove the
tiller and pedals from the rear and install them in the front and drive from
the front.  An excellent automobile.

And I can also tell you the Amphicar wasn't just a bizzare idea thrown
together.  The inventor, Hans Trippell, developed this car as well as many
military vehicles for years, putting together many prototypes and limited
runs of vehicles.  The Amphicar was actually built for 8 years.

This is my knowledge of the cars on the list, perhaps I will call the
Petersen and suggest they change the name of the exhibit.  It will be a good
display, though.  I'm surprised they don't have their Tucker in the lineup.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia