<VV> Corvair vs Falcon

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Jan 1 20:37:47 EST 2009

At 11:59 AM 1/1/2009, James P. Rice wrote:

>The question I wish I had an answer for was why the Corvair was kept
>in production so long, given the sales compared to Falcon's and Chevy II's.

My question has been, why did the Corvair -- a car more expensive to
build than the Chevy II -- remain marketed as an "economy car," when
the Chevy II so easily fit there and the Corvair had by then
developed a sporting following?

Why was the Corvair not moved a little upmarket when the Chevy II
came along?  It seems to me that the 500s and such should have been
dropped, and the Monza and the Corsa promoted as the sports car for
the family man, and the price adjusted upward, too.  In 1967 the
Corvair 500 was being advertised as the "lowest priced hardtop in
American," a mistake, I think.

--Bob