<VV> Corvair vs Falcon

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Thu Jan 1 11:59:53 EST 2009

Bill:  Actually Cole and company did capitulate. Or was it an attack of good
judgment, seeing they were in business to make money by selling whatever
cars the public would buy, meaning conventional cars.  Whatever the reason,
they began work on the Chevy II six months after the Corvair's introduction.

I have the actually sales numbers in a file I'll use in the Corvair Timeline
article I'm slowly working on for the Communique.  As I remember the
numbers, the Falcon out sold the Corvair about 2 to 1 immediately, and
continued to do so.  When the Chevy II was introduced in the fall of '61 as
a '62 model, as I think I remember, it out sold the Corvair immediately, and
continued to do so.

The question I wish I had an answer for was why the Corvair was kept in
production so long, given the sales compared to Falcon's and Chevy II's.
There are few left to ask, and no known documentation of the discussion and
decision making process.  I suspect it they decided to recoup the
development cost and mixed in was some amount of pride and love of the car.
It appears all the car guys at Chevrolet & GM loved the Corvair, while the
marketing, sales type and the dealers did not.  Then there was the general
public, most of whom yawned at the Corvair.  They voted with their pocket
books and the rest is history.

That Chevrolet/GM did the LM is just mind-boggling to me.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 6