<VV> Corvair vs Falcon, Valiant, Chevy II Nova, Chevelle, and later the Camaro

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Jan 2 03:43:56 EST 2009

Selling the Corvair as an economy car ("America's Cheapest Hardtop") was
intended to emphasize the 'hardtop' since the other cars were 'pillar
posted' sedans and coupes, but unfortunately all America heard was 'cheap'.

Unfortunately the Corvair filled a niche that was occupied by cars GM
already made : the Chevy II Nova, Chevelle, and later the Camaro, and all
were cheaper to build.

The real wonder is that the Corvair lasted as long as it did.

Someone really loved the Corvair and its innovative style because it was NOT
a financial decision, and boy are we glad we had someone in our corner !

We may never have seen the late models, which I think were voted the "Most
Beautiful Car in the World" at some point (I think 1967) ?

I think we can thank Ralhpie for forcing GM to keep the Corvair a little
longer just so it didn't look like they were capitulating to his threats?

Whatever it was, I'm glad it happened!

Charlie