<VV> Corvair vs Falcon

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 12:47:51 EST 2009

Good question, Bob. My only answer is that the marketing people just could
not get it out of their heads that it had morphed into a sporty car. And
the fact that all the late models were hardtops (which was at the time
considered THE premium body style) only adds to their tunnel-vision myopia.
And of course, the dealers didn't help, as they always over-ordered the
500's and under-bought the Monza and Corsa models. Plus there were so many
options that "made" the car that were under-ordered. A look thru Kent
Sullivan's recent articles on the '65-7 option codes reveals that.

Some of the other marketing blunders I think GM's marketers and design
engineers committed (and this is with the full realization that hindsight
is 20/20) were the late adaptation of three-speed automatics, larger
wheels, and disc brakes. When you consider that, it's sometimes almost
amazing that GM held as much of the market against F**d and Cryco as they
did. Certainly the Corvair would have benefitted greatly had those items
(at least the first two) been on late models, even as options.

-Mark

II's.