<VV> Gearing

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 17:33:54 EST 2009

Umm, check the shop manuals of the 50s and 60s. GM and Chevrolet were
parent and child, each division had their own transmission needs. GM had
a four speed automatic before other makes. The original Hydromatic was
only produced as a four speed.  Both the early (thru mid 56) and late
(56 on) versions.

Chevy got the three speed Turbohydramatic about 1965. Both the Turbo 350
and Turbo 400 were three speeds. Who else had a four speed automatic at
that time? Yes, they still sold Powerglides, but Turbohydramatics were
optional equipment.

The Chrysler Powerflite transmission thru 61 was also just a two speed,
just like our powerglides.

Ford also had the Fordomatic two speed automatic for use in the Falcon,
Fairlane, Ford full size, Meteor and Mercury.

So, the Falcon had a two speed just like the Corvair at the beginning of
production (1960). Yes, later models (Falcoln was sold thru 1970) could
be had with the three speed Cruise O Matic.

Frank DuVal