<VV> Gearing

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 15:18:27 EST 2009

Frank,
     You're right about the 4 speed hydramatics, but they weren't available in Chevys.  And they didn't come with a torque convertor, just a fluid coupling.
     Chevy got the 3 speed Turbohydramatics in the mid 60s, but my 1958 Plymouth Belvedere had the 3 speed Torqueflite.  I remember adjusting the linkage so it would stay in 2nd gear as high as 70 mph before upshifting to 3rd gear.  Try that with a 2 speed Powerglide.  So Plymouth was way ahead of Chevy in that regard.
     But lets get back to Corvairs.<GGGG>
     Frank "the other one" Burkhard