<VV> ring job - looking ...

Dave Smith gornzilla at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:44:58 EST 2009

Hi Bill,

I was passed a lot.  I brought a bag of tools with me on the train ride down.

I'm taking a break from riding a 1965 Ducati 250cc round the world and
I just got back from Nepal and India on a Royal Enfield.  I raced a VW
Bug at the 24 Hours of LeMons (that's lemons, not LeMans).  I expected
some problems and thought I was going slow enough.  It was a foolish
roll of the dice I know, but I've done worse and survived. That's the
first time I've had to be towed home in years of driving/riding old
stuff.

It was a cold week.  The grapevine had been closed due to snow.  I
stopped fairly often, every 80-100 miles, to let the car cool down.
That's when I was thinking maybe the coil was going because it would
get harder to start. I don't know what the proper tension is on a
belt, but the guy I bought it from said he just had the belt replaced
with the best money could buy and it was perfect.  The shop I went to
said "wow, what a crappy belt" and I adjusted it to about the same
tension and the mech said it was loose.

I'm looking for a 1960s car for around town use and trips to San
Francisco (80 miles each way).  I've owned a lot of 1960s Darts,
Valiants, and a '67 Barracuda, but I love how Corvairs look.
Something I can leave on the street since my NSU takes up my tiny
garage.

I don't think I'd blow up a replacement engine. Breaking small things
is fine.  A nice intro to the world of Corvairs.

-Dave