<VV> Length of LM Corvairs

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Jan 4 21:40:56 EST 2009

The 66 and later (Saginaw?) transmission is longer (plus has different oil
passage holes, which caused me a meltdown at one point), but that just meant
a new front crossmember with a bit of a 2" dogleg in it.

Extending the entire car two inches would have been a lot more expensive
(but increased rear seat leg room)!

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Blackwell
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:42 PM
To: shortle
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Length of LM Corvairs

No difference in any overall dimension of the body shells between any
late models of the same type.  You can swap all the panels from one
to another.  There are detail differences, but the person who said
this is wrong. The transmission difference is one inch, and the '66 -
up trans will go in a '65 if you use the later trans crossmember,
input shaft, and shifter parts.

--Bryan

On Jan 4, 2009, at 1:44 PM, shortle wrote:

> Hi all and Happy 2009. I was recently chatting with an old vair guy
> who told me "1965 Corvairs were about 2 inches shorter than 1966
> and later cars due to the fact the manual trannies were bigger". I
> told him I didn't believe that but told him I would check with some
> experts on line. Well, how about it? Is it true?

the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org