<VV> halogen lights

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 19:27:30 EST 2009

Actually, they were talking about 42 volt systems, which use an 18 cell
battery. Yes, I know that means 36 volts to most people, but a 12 volt system  is,
in reality, 14 volts when the car is running. And yes, it would dramatically
reduce the amount of copper needed, unless they take advantage of the
significantly greater available power and start running air conditioners, power
steering, etc, on electric.

Anyway, light output goes up with the 3.5 power of the voltage. Meaning,  get
an extra 1.5 volts at the headlight, and you make over 50% more light. That
is a big deal. Usually, on Corvairs with original harnesses, I've found it to
be  more like an added 2 volts with H4/H1 lights, which means 72% more light!
Also,  when I've added H4/H1 headlights, the added wattage is enough to make
the  breaker trip on high beams after a few minutes. So, relays it is. And
GREAT  point on using better grounds!

Although the more powerful bulbs are illegal, they do make insane amounts  of
light. My Fiero GT has H4 headlamps, with 100/145 watt bulbs, and I do NOT go
 wanting for light. At all. Headlights are Cibie. When I had E codes in my
Corvair, with 80/100s in the low beams, and 100s in the high beams, it was
instant daytime for well over a mile on high beams, and with all the lamps
properly aimed, the lows weren't offensive to anyone.

In a message dated 1/6/2009 6:59:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

>However, there is substantial voltage drop through the headlamp  switch and
wiring and using headlamp relays would get more voltage to the  halogen lamps
resulting in substantially improved light output.

This will also improve standard incandescent headlamps and relays  take
nearly all the load of the headlight switch, extending it's useful  life
beyond that of the current owner (when correctly  installed).

>If you are going to non-sealed beam H4/H1 lamps, then  you REALLY need to
use relays...

Standard wattage H4's aren't much  worse for cunsumption than any other
standard lamp, however, since a relay  system (and appropriate design and
wiring) will improve just about any oem  headlight system (compare
actuall votage readings at the headlight to that  at the battery), it is
only a reasonable thing to do to go along with the  halogens, as well as
improved grounds, in search of improved  lighting.  Reports to the
contrary generally indicate that there  was/is a pre-existing poorly
maintained connection somewhere or a failing  headlight switch or other
electrical malfunction.

Detroit  can  be pretty cheap when it comes to buying copper -- that and
reduced weight  is behind those periodic rumors of 48 volt electical
systems on production  vehicles

Higher wattage (and generally illegal) halogens do require  wiring
improvements, especially if you are trying to run them concurrently  with
high watt H1 lamps, as in a quad headlight setup.

see  http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Bill  Strickland