<VV> rack & pinion for corvair?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 01:56:30 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/6/2009 7:40:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
roadrashgixer at msn.com writes:

Has  anyone done a rack & pinion instal on a Corvair?
If so, what is a good  rack to use, and how difficult is it?  Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Chad in Denver
1969 Monza 140  convertible

It has been done. For a street car, I wouldn't recommend it. The particular
design of the rear engine Corvair places the gas tank in front. Most Rack &
Pinions are designed for front engined cars. Those mostly have space for the
steering column to angle over to the pinion location on the rack. (The pinion
is  offset to the driver's side, but for mechanical reasons, cannot be on the
very  end of the rack, unless you don't want to turn right) So almost all of
the Racks  cause the column to interfere with the gas tank corner. It can be
modified.  On race cars, fuel cells often replace the tank and can be relocated
for  clearance.

Both MGB and Datsun 240Z racks have been adapted - basically, any
front-steer rack with the correct response could be adapted. I need to ask  why you
would want it. When properly adjusted and when proper parts are  used, the Corvair
steering is quite responsive.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette