<VV> halogen lights

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 17:11:57 EST 2009

The trouble with bright lights is that if you react to them by thinking
'look at that *sshole* with the bright lights - I am going to get lights
even brighter than them', we just end up in a lighting war where everyone
gets dazzled - a bit like the arms race!

Personally, I am always staggered by how easy it is to drive a car with
really, really rubbish headlights (my Corvair then) as long as there are no
ambient light sources, and no bright lights coming the other way.

We don't actually need that much light to be able to see at night. What we
need is for that ambient level of light not to change much, so that our eyes
don't need to keep adapting. So the less bright everyone's lights (and the
background lighting) are, the better it is for all of us. It would help if
we all banned BMWs, Mercedeses and Audis, for a start - every time one comes
towards me I am totally dazzled, whatever I am driving.

Cheers

Alan