<VV> EM muffler hanger location

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 11 14:10:46 EST 2009

Most noobies make this mistake (I did... but it was years ago).

The entire exhaust system on a Corvair must hang from the engine. The
engine is mounted on rubber mounts, so it moves in relation to the body.
The exhaust system is too short to absorb these movements, like a long
system can on a front engine car.

BTW, the 64 style muffer hanger has been unavailable for a long time. I
need some! I make do with the 60 to 63 style, which is not made to fit
the oval muffler. A round muffler has been used on many an early, the 60
to 63 use them OEM. IIRC the K car had a perfect round muffler/tail pipe
to fit an early. I do not recall the particulars.

Frank DuVal