<VV> 5-speed trans Super Monza Info

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jan 11 14:37:29 EST 2009

---- Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net> wrote:
> I'll add a little to this, others in the Central VA club and CPF can add
> more corrections.
>
> The 60 (not 61) Super Monza was advertised in the Communique. No one
> bought it due to the poorly worded ad ( 1960 Show Car, needs
> restoration). At the same time, members of the CVCC that worked at
> Reynolds Aluminum were looking into the story of a special Corvair that
> came through Reynolds and was aquired by the Reynolds Family. It was the
> Super Monza, and was still owned by the Reynolds family in KY. End
> result, the Super Monza was donated to the CVCC, and we worked on it to
> a point (lack of funds and time). Then it was given to Corsa to oversee
> the rest of the restoration. It was on display at the Corvair museum in
> Richmond until it closed.
>
> The car had the stock powerglide.

It's worth mentioning that the Super Monza is VIN'ed as a 700 and not a 900.

LIkewise the Super Monza's "sistership" convertible "Pinky" which was also a concept car, which had a custom convertible power top and a one-off three-speed automatic transmission.

Pinky did not survive the ravages of time.   It was scrapped a while back by an ignorant (or uncaring) owner because it was rusty, having been passed on to the private sector and traded hands a number of times, and simply being worn out and allowed to "go to seed".

Pinky was parted out and some of the parts ended up in the Communique classifieds, *Including* the transaxle which went to parts unknown, far as I know.

THAT was the only 3-speed automatic transaxle to ever end up in a production (kinda) Corvair as far as I know, although word has it that GM had plans to produce a 3-speed auto for production before the Corvair was canceled and further development work was halted.

IIRC that transmission would have been a variant of the TH-350...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here... Hey, been wrong before.   LOL

tony..