<VV> FW: 5-speed trans Super Monza Info

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Sun Jan 11 20:55:18 EST 2009

Thanks Tony...
I should have added the experimental Hydra-Matic (or I should say GM's Detroit Transmission Division) 3 speed to my comments that Rod Murray posted to VV. Especially since I did the research about its installation in the "Pinky" convertible (XP-709). See the January 1989 Communique.
Chevy and Winchell had nothing to do with this tranny, which was not a variant of any production trans. It was a modified, experimental 61-5R which was Detroit Transmission's bid for the Pontiac Tempest business. The idea was that Pontiac might buy this trans instead of the the Corvair Powerglide derived "Tempest-Torque".
Detroit Transmission's shops adapted a 61-5R for use in Pinky. But neither the trans or the car could be considered production or close to it. No one has ever found a photo of the transmission or confirmed for sure that the installation in Pinky had a park position or not. I doubt very much if the 61-5R was developed beyond the experimental stage and that it would have been suited to a production Corvair.
Regarding the last owner of Pinky, Matt Zorvan, he was always very evasive about his scrapping of the car and could never recall the wrecking yard he took it to. The story didn't feel right to me or to Mark Ellis. Mark received the first photos of the car from Zorvan and sent them to me. I believe that was in 1972.
Interestingly, I just received an email from CORSA member John Howell. He said that Matt now lives near him in East Tennessee and that he just bought a real nice 1966 Marina Blue Corsa 140 Convertible from him this weekend.
I'm not aware of any parts from Pinky ever being offered in the Communique. Until I see the ad, I'll be skeptical about that.
Dave Newell