<VV> Electrical question...

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Jan 13 09:38:59 EST 2009

Hi Cash,

Not quite right - the alt/fan light comes on if the alternator isn't
charging sufficiently.  Your 1 to 1 1/2" of slack sounds like too
much.  I set my belts so I can turn the alternator fan with one
finger, that seems to work well.  When adjusting the belt, if you
hold the idler between your thumb and fingers and pull straight back
that usually results in the correct tension.  A *slightly* loose belt
is better than a too tight one, but I think you're past the point of
slightly loose.

If adjusting it fixes the problem, but it gets loose in a few days,
the belt is breaking internally and needs to be replaced.

--Bryan