<VV> No Corvair - GM Catalyst Replacement?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 19:03:26 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/13/2009 3:48:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

If  anyone has done a converter replacement on a late model GM vehicle (this
one  is a Tahoe), please drop me a note. I am wondering about the impact on
the  computer functions if the coverter is replaced with a straight pipe. (Don't
 need advise that it is illegal as it does not belong to me and the owner is
aware of that :-).
Thanks,
Grant

The late model GM Computers have connections to a pair of Oxygen sensors,
one before and one after the converter. On initial start-up, the computer will
check to see if the oxygen sensor is there and providing computer input that
says it is within the correct operating range. (Raise your hand if you are
here). After operation begins and the catalyst begins to operate, the computer
tests to see if the "after" O2 sensor is showing an improvement from the O2
sensor located before the converter. If it doesn't, This will set a "Check
Engine" light and set the appropriate code in the computer. At that point, the
car will not pass a smog test.

Not a "legality" statement, but I don't want to breathe his smog. - He
should get it fixed. The running of the car may not be too affected, because the
before O2 sensor is providing feedback to the fuel system controls. The system,
 however can make the car run rich at some point, because it is counting on
the  converter to clean up it's exhaust. Removing the converter may, indeed
cause the  truck to pollute a lot more than an older car. Seems strange, but that
is what  allows new cars to run so well.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)