<VV> Corvair College 13 - Livermore, CA

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 23:36:22 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/9/2009 3:19:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
charliemorgan at comcast.net writes:

I  received a message from the Aircraft Auto Engine Group (on Yahoo)
about a  "Corvair College" in Livermore, CA, on Jan 16, 17 and 18.  It is
hosted by the Corvair aircraft guru William Wynne.  Looks  interesting.
Here's a link to the  event:
http://web.mac.com/flaglvk/iWeb/FLAG/ccol.html

Charlie  Morgan

Charlie - Thank you for the notice. I registered and attended the "Corvair
College" both Friday evening and all day Saturday. I will write up a review.
The  closest comparison I can draw would be the Performance Workshop that
FastVair  and a few dedicated Midwest folks have been hosting for the last few
years. The  folks who are building the Corvair motor for light/experimental
aviation use are  quite motivated. The numbers are amazing and the group is spread
all over  the US - even some in Europe. Their usage has inspired production of
several new  performance parts which will eventually find their way into racing
and  performance Corvair cars. Out of 40-45 attendees, I was probably the
only  current Corvair "car" guy (meaning no aircraft interest) - But  there were
several racers there - folks who had been running various cars for  many
years. Also, some of the people had been introduced to the  Corvair motor through
their search for their "core" motors. More than one of  them commented on what
a neat car they thought the Corvair was, and that they  were considering
finding a nice Corvair for regular street driving. The focus of  this "Corvair
College 13" was the preparation and assembly of the cases and  bottom end of the
participants motors. There were at least a dozen case sets  being prepped and
assembled there. Lots of plastigage and measuring was going  on.
I had a great time and would have attended today - for the close out. But I
had to bring my Corvair out to an Autocross for the season opener. Oh  Well!

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)