<VV> Fly Wheels - non Corvair

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Jan 19 12:46:45 EST 2009

All:  My other son-in-law, who is not a car guy, had a started die on him
over the course of a few months.  It was in a S-10 with the I-4 and auto.
Never said a word to anybody about it.

He replaced the started, and it worked three times.  Then it would not
engage.  He was able to turn motor over some once with a wrench on the front
pulley, got it going, but the started would not engage next time.  He said
the teeth looked bad when he replaced the starter.

Finally took it to a AMMCO shop and had the flywheel/ring gear replaced.  He
said looking at the old part, there were three spots with worn teeth, and
the rest were fine.

Which caused me to conclude that engines, at least the S-10's I-4, always
stops in one of three positions each time.

Anybody else observe the same thing on other engines?  Or is this a 4
cylinder thing?

Thanks,

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice