<VV> [Fwd: Someone told me about a car for sale]

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Tue Jan 20 02:38:00 EST 2009

I am familiar with this car.  I had a look at it when it was first
advertised for sale about ten years ago in The Strand - about 50km from Cape
Town.  It was/is a good original example of a 1960 Corvair.  This would have
been one of the 1,204 semi-knocked-down kits imported into South Africa at
the time and assembled by General Motors in Port Elizabeth.  They were all
left hand drive.  I seem to recall the car was for sale for around R20,000
in 1999 which is $2,000 at today's exchange rate.  It most certainly needed
a respray, even then. The color combination of boring beige with red roof
was just horrid, not to mention red wheels and I have an aversion to red
interiors.  The chrome was not good.  Bumpers needed redoing and all the
belt line moldings were dinged.  It would have cost at least another $2,000
to put everything right, but very likely even double that what with import
duty and freight charges.  As I already had vehicles needing attention, I
couldn't see my way clear to purchasing yet another needing quite so much
work.  I always wondered what had happened to that car.  Now I know.  I
think quite a number of South African cars from the fifties and sixties find
their way to the UK, much is the pity.  The exchange rate is such that
anyone buying with Pounds picks up an absolute bargain if shopping in SA.

Nick