<VV> Oppose Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program (no Corvair)

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 11:36:45 EST 2009

-- Oppose Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program --

Our efforts to prevent Congress from including a nationwide "Cash for
Clunkers" program in the economic stimulus package has been successful ??“
so far. Thousands of SEMA Action Network (SAN) enthusiasts and SEMA members
contacted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in opposition to the plan. The
Speaker's Office informed us that your emails, calls and faxes were
received and, thanks to your work, Cash for Clunkers was not included in
the economic stimulus package introduced in mid-January in the House of
Representatives. Unfortunately, new legislation (S. 247 and H.R. 520) has
been introduced in Congress to create a national vehicle scrappage program
which will give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in their "gas
guzzlers" to have them crushed. Lawmakers need to scrap this idea!

-- Contact Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) and Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA)
Immediately to Oppose S. 247 and H.R. 520 --

The so-called "Accelerated Retirement of Inefficient Vehicles Act" is Cash
for Clunkers with a twist. Instead of focusing exclusively on older cars,
this program would target vehicles with low fuel economy ratings of any
model year. Participants would receive cash vouchers ranging from $2,500 to
$4,500 based on the model year and whether the replacement vehicle was a
more fuel-efficient new car or used car (MY 2004 or later). Fuel-efficient
is defined as getting at least 25 percent better mileage for the corporate
average fuel economy (CAFE) target for its class. The bill sponsors want to
scrap up to one million cars a year for at least four years.

There is no evidence that the program would achieve the goal of boosting
new car sales or increasing fuel mileage. Many states have considered
scrappage programs in the past as a way to help clean the air or increase
mpg, but abandoned the effort because they simply don't work. The programs
are not cost-effective and do not achieve verifiable air quality or fuel
economy benefits, but they do have a devastating impact on the many small
businesses that market products and services for the scrapped cars.

Don't Delay! Please contact Senator Diane Feinstein and Rep. Henry Waxman
today to urge their opposition to S. 247 and H.R. 520. For those who
responded to our first call for action, we need you again, along with
everyone else.

Contact Sen. Diane Feinstein to oppose S. 247
-Click here to send an email:
http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.EmailMe
-Call: (202) 224-3841
-Fax: (202) 228-3954

Contact Henry Waxman to oppose HR 520
-Click here to send an email:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13
13&Itemid=1
-Call: (202) 225-2927
-Fax: (202) 225-2525

Talking Points:

-- Oppose the Use of U.S. Taxpayer Dollars for Accelerated Vehicle
Retirement --

- I am writing to urge lawmakers not to approve an "accelerated vehicle
retirement" program. This is a misguided attempt to spur car sales and
claim that the country's fleet fuel mileage is being improved.

- An accelerated vehicle retirement program is flawed since it does not
target the "gross polluter," an improperly maintained vehicle of any make
or model year that has poor fuel mileage and dramatically more emissions
due to poor maintenance.

- An accelerated vehicle retirement program is flawed because it does not
factor-in how many miles-a-year the collected vehicles are currently being
driven. U.S. taxpayers will be buying rarely-driven second and third
vehicles that have minimal impact on overall fuel economy and air pollution.

- Any vehicle scrappage program threatens enthusiasts nationwide with the
loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and
customization projects. An accelerated retirement program will reduce the
availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by
low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the
Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise
money.

- Accelerated vehicle retirement is just one of several "Cash for Clunkers"
programs that has been proposed in Congress. The government should just
focus on providing a tax incentive to help sell more fuel-efficient,
cleaner cars ??“ new or used. The government should not become a player in
the vehicle scrappage/recycling industry. We have professionals that have
been doing that job very well for the past 100 years.

- We hope we can count on you to reject "Accelerated Vehicle Retirement."
Thank you for your consideration on this very important matter.