<VV> Dues Increase

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Tue Jan 27 20:06:01 EST 2009

Amen!

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of tim mahler
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:44 PM
To: VirtualVairs
Subject: <VV> Dues Increase

VV land

I do not consider VV to be a great place for these discussions -- but since
it is here  .

I will like to add that dues have been on the boards agenda for over a year.

The budget was discussed at length last year at this time.  The solution
then was the same as now -- dues will need to be increased to cover
expenses.  I think the board discussed dues in 2006 as well.  It has been
put off too long.

As to fat.    CORSA has changed printers, and most recently changed the
number of pages to optimize the printing set up expenses.  It has been
trimmed a lot.  Not much fat left,  any more and it will be tough as heck.
Postage is outside CORSA's control.  Insurance has been shopped around, but
chapters wanted more coverage,  with added some back.  For the Chapters,
insurance is much cheaper.
Most of the office supplies are lower now than 5 years ago.

Expenses have ONLY risen 2.5% in 5 years. Considering how much Postage has
increase , this is remarkable.

The problem is revenue --  revenue is primarily membership dues.  membership

has fallen as it has (in general) for the last 20 or 25 years.  Lots of
attempts have been made to reverse that trend.

Choices. -- pay a little more each year.  OR eliminate 2-3 Communiques (or
more);  OR stop mailing the Communique  OR fill half  the Communique with
ads -- IF we can find people to advertise.

BTW:  The 2007 operating loss was around $10,000.  2006 the loss was over
$16,000.  2005 the loss was just under $3,000.  2004 saw a 500 profit.   The

deficit for 2008 will be over $20,000  mostly because of printing and
postage (Communique AND membership renewals).

We waited too long to raise dues,     Fat HAS been trimmed.   The next thing

to be cut is meat and bones -- services.  And we may need to do that even
with the dues increase.  In fact,  I am pretty sure we will.  Hopefully,
when it comes to that, it will not be overly painful. But first things
first,  stablize the organization.

tim mahler