<VV> Beyond a Dues Increase

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 28 08:10:41 EST 2009

Excuse me for butting in here and offering my two cents, since I'm already
an ex-CORSA member.  I dropped out of CORSA a couple of years ago, when the
price of membership was raised.  It wasn't a case of not being able to
afford it, but rather it really wasn't of any benefit to me.  The Communiqué
was the only thing of any value that I was getting out of it and each issue
might only have one, maybe two articles of interest to me.  These were the
ones that pertained to a persons Corvair or technical articles.  The most
interesting article to me that was published during the time I was a member
was the one done on decoding the build tags on the late models.  The rest of
the magazine was pretty much useless as far as this new member was
concerned.  I didn't care to read about the results of some clubs racing
event that was half way across the country from me, or their show and the
results of the judging.  I was never going to race my Corvair and probably
never meet these people or attend one of their events.  Several pages of the
Communiqué were dedicated to clubs events in each issue.  Then you could
count on several issues, having the pages filled with information pertaining
to the yearly CORSA convention, both before and after event.  In fact you
could count on a couple of  issues after the convention being mostly filled
with articles from that event.  Here again, although some were interesting
as far as places I would like to tour or visit at some point, the rest was
of no interest to me.  Around election time for CORSA, again before and
after several pages were dedicated to those running and who won and their
blurbs on what the felt they could do for CORSA.

So after several years of being a member, when it was time to send in my
dues, which had just gone up, I had to ask myself, what was I getting of
value out of being a CORSA member.  VV was the only thing I was getting out
of being a member and I didn't need to be a member for that. I felt that
CORSA was keeping the Corvair people united and promoting the interest of
the Corvair, but I felt the magazine was geared more to long time active
members who all knew one another and have owned Corvairs forever.  This was
their way of keeping up with their friends across the country and what the
other clubs were doing.  I was hoping for more articles on the car and tech
articles, rather than social items.

I joined CORSA after getting several older Communiqués off ebay and after
reading them, I thought it would be worth it to join CORSA just to get the
magazine.  These were from the early '80s and were filled with much more
interesting articles than the newer Communiqué.  Maybe there isn't anything
new to print about Corvairs, because it already has been printed in the
older Communiqués, but for us newer members, it would have been interesting
seeing one or two of these older articles in the new Communiqués.

 Why doesn't CORSA consider offering two price levels of membership?  One
for those of us who want to belong and are willing to pay for VV and also be
able to read or download  the Communiqué on line and a higher membership fee
that will support the high cost of publishing the Communiqué, for those who
insist on the paper copy.

After 42 years in computers, I would much rather be able to download a
magazine to my computer where it takes up much less room than an actual
magazine.  Yes I'm an old fart, but I've been in computers all my life and
have come to appreciate the capabilities the computer age is providing in
the ways of on-line publication.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Kent Island, MD