<VV> Replacing Front Door Glass

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 12:17:44 EST 2009

John asked:

I need to replace the large glass in the front door of my 65 vert.

I have a used replacement glass and my glass is out of the car.

The metal frame on the bottom of the replacement glass is in poor condition.

The metal frame on the glass from my car is in excellent condition.

I need to swap the metal frames.

Neither frame will loosen after being soaked with various solvents.

How do I remove the window glass frames?

Craig replies:

The lower sash is a spring and friction fit on the bottom of the glass. It
gets carefully pounded off with a block of hardwood.

First, measure and mark (sharpie or tape) the front-to-rear location of the
sash. Work on carpeting or a triple folded blanket. Take a piece of random
hardwood (think 1x2x10") and lay one end on the edge of the metal sash near
one end of the sash. Tap the wood with a hammer to dislodge the sash.  You
will likely need new rubber liner for the sash; it's available from the
vendors or any glass shop. Note that the new liner is much wider than what's
in the sash.  Excess liner  gets trimmed to with a razor blade once the sash
is pounded onto the "new" glass.  The only thing that holds the glass in
place is the friction of the new liner along with the spring tension of the
sash.

Craig Nicol