<VV> CORSA - DOOS AND WON'TS

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Thu Jan 29 20:04:28 EST 2009

> For obvious reasons whenever these discussions come up there are other issues that get mixed in. It might be helpful if we seperate the issues, deal with them one at a time.

1) First, the immediate financial situation - Raise dues? Yes,
obviously, without question. Raise them so that at least for a a year or
two we're covered. Even if someone came up with the greatest plans
(covering the next few points) tomorrow we would not see the benefits
for several years. Take care of this one point NOW!

2) Start to figure out what we need to do to keep the members we have
and to attract more. While this issue is important, and impacts the
future need for dues increases, it should not have any bearing on point
#1 - which we need to do NOW.

3) Start looking at options to cut actual costs. Quite frankly, with the
exception of our International annual convention, there really isn't any
need to cut anything this year - THAT IS IF we raise the dues - NOW.
Obviously, if we get to where membership drops dramatically and dues
have to be raised a lot (hint $5 or 10.00 a year is Not a lot) then
everything changes.

I was a Director recently for a 3 year period and I can tell each and
every member that there is NO "fat" in Corsas budget. Therefore any
significant cuts would cut services to the members. It's not that this
may not happen some day, but it needs to be put off as long as possible
because cutting any services will lose members and so on.

4) Review our philosophy about our International conventions. If
Jacksonville turns a profit that will be very good* - but - that alone
is not enough. We can have a scenario where a convention turns a profit,
but the majority of members are still unhappy because they can no longer
afford to attend. See point #2 again.

Oftentimes when the issue of dues increases come up the entire issue
gets clouded with "Gee, this wouldn't be happening if we just addressed
everything else" - and that may be true - but it shifts the focus away
from where it needs to be - on making sure that CORSA is sound - NOW.
Points 2-4 are very important, but really they have nothing to do with
whether or not we have to raise dues today - based on where we are now -
for whatever reason.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com

* I know this will make some people angry but I have serious doubts as
to whether Jacksonville will be profitable or not. This is NOT the fault
of the host club.  It's owing to circumstances that are beyond their
control. Last year at Ventura, had that convention been done in a
"conventional" way, it would have lost money. Because the convention was
a radical departure from the way we usually do it it was saved
financially - BUT - a number of attendees were unhappy with the break
from tradition. This is what I'm talking about in point #4 above.

Traveling has become hyper expensive. The fancy hotels we use go up and
up and up. So do the tours, parking etc etc. Add to that uncertainty (or
for some certainty) about the economy and it gets harder and harder to
break even.

All of you should make a huge effort to be in Jacksonville. If you're on
the fence then hop off! Corsa needs you to be there, and Florida people
will do a great job.