<VV> CORSA SHORTFALLS (out of place, but?)

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Jan 30 06:38:19 EST 2009

The 'pain' of declining membership has been with us for years.
In fact, CORSA has been paying for the decision to allow non-
national members for more than half of those 40 years.  The
seed planted 'way back when' has limited CORSA growth for
all of its life.  CORSA even made an attempt to correct that
mistake back in the early 80's [I can't remember the exact
year :-(] and many chapters complied but it was taking some
time and effort.  I don't know why but CORSA gave up.  Result;
they have been struggling for years.

Most of the chapters now have members that do not belong
to CORSA.  These non-members must be the single largest
source of potential to recruit new members.  I am sure CORSA
knows how many there are but today the real question is 'What
is CORSA willing to do to help themselves?'  Chapters can offer
membership forms and inform new members of the benefits.
Without the support of a CORSA membership requirement the
chapters DO NOT have much leverage to convince all members
to join.

Over the years I have personally paid, or offered to pay, the dues
for some who could not afford to pay.  Perhaps some of the local
chapters could establish an assistance fund.  The one thing I do
know for sure is 'tightening the belt' is not going to increase
CORSA membership and without that their survival is doomed.
Ken P