<VV> More realities and about recruiting younger members

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 30 14:50:00 EST 2009

Hi Andy and all, Your observations are very accurate. It may have
been at a recent Corvair Atlanta function or at
one of our autocrosses that someone commented to me that anyone under
the age of 30 probably doesn't know how a carburetor or ignition
points work as they have never had a Car that used them. My initial
response was WOW that is really how it is and we do indeed live in a
different automotive world. Bill Hubbell commented recently that our
revolutionary Corvairs are antiques now just like
any other pre computer cars. Your points (no pun intended) and mine
and Bill's are all things that effect young peoples decisions to
enter the old car hobby and are really basic to whether they will
take the plunge and they need advice and help with their Corvairs
when entering the hobby.

Chuck Armer
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////

At 02:17 PM 1/30/2009, you wrote:
>Guys (gender neutral),
>I recognize the hope to recruit young members (I'm 50) - but I am
>concerned about something that I haven't seen mentioned.
>Many Corvair owners are happy tinkering with their cars - including me.
>I drive a Corvair daily - even in Wisconsin winters.  I am very willing
>to help out others - but more as a teacher/mentor than as a doer.  Many
>people can't, or won't try to do their own work.  I have also heard
>there are fewer Corvair mechanics around than in the past - and this
>will likely continue.
>However, I have seen some local (relative) youngsters give up on their
>cars - as they don't know how to work on them - and can't find a
>mechanic willing to do so.  Some may feel I am in the wrong here - but I
>have told several people interested in buying a Corvair that unless they
>are mechanically inclined - it may not be a good idea.  I stand by my
>belief that (any) older car requires frequent (generally minor)
>maintenance - and that most people are so used to modern cars that this
>idea is foreign to them.
>Any comments?
>Andy K.
>Wisconsin