<VV> corvair fuel & cooling

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 20:55:57 EDT 2009

I try to duplicate the octane levels of the 1960's by adding tetra-ethyl lead
that I buy from Jack Podell. It's called Max lead 2000. I had it tested and each
quart has at least 14 grams/ounce of tetra-ethyl lead. I learned of this product
from pilots of corvair powered aircraft that I have flown. The corvair motors
were originally made to use unleaded, 'Gulftane' fuel in the 1960's. This is
what I was told anyway. I do know and others have emailed me that the head
temperatures are about 30 degrees lower consistently when using this product.
There hasn't been lead in US fuel since 1978. The premium ethanol fuel of today
is very different than the leaded premium of the 1960's.

IF you are not flying this engine... you don't need lead....  Pump 91 octane or higher will do your engine fine!

 You must remember,, Aircraft conversion almost always use Aircraft carbs...  ADJUSTABLE MAINJET!!

We do not!

I'm a little confused how the motor can be starved from air cooling.? From what

I've heard, are you suppose to block off the door/vent that enters the
fiberglass plenum on top of the axle?? Isn't the fan feed by the side vents,
down over the heads and out the shroud doors?

You are NOT ?supposed to block anything! ?for normal street usage! ? IF ?the Heater "Freshair" ?hose is ruptured.. and you cannot repair....then block the opening temporaily!

You are correct on the cooling air ?path... ? Sucked in by fan... blown over heads ?/ barrels / oil cooler ?and out rear doors...

Heat RECIRCULATION ?is our enemy... ?NO ?Air Spaces / gaps ?ANYWHERE ?on the top side of the engine.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.verizon.net/nalllm