<VV> Steering / some Corvair

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sun Jul 5 08:18:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:09:56 +0100 "Alan and Clare Wesson"
<alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk> writes:
> snip <
>

> Steering is the single most important aspect of vehicle design
> (apart from
> the gear lever and the seat base it is your only point of contact
> with the
> vehicle). And the tyres, your interface with which it controls, are
> your
> only point of contact with the road.
>
> And it is the issue where I can best illustrate my oft-repeated
> statement
> that new is not necessarily better (in fact in the case of steering
> new is
> definitely worse).
>
> The three issues governing steering quality are weight, feel and
> gearing.
> The weight of the steering is influenced by three things: a) the
> weight of
> the vehicle; b) the width of the tyres; and c) whether the car has
> front-,
> rear- or four-wheel drive. A light vehicle with narrow tyres and
> rear-wheel
> drive will naturally have light steering. If you increase the weight
> of the
> vehicle, the width of the tyres or switch from rear wheel drive,
> those
> factors will result in an increase in weight at the steering wheel
> rim.

I would like to offer a 4th ... but put it in position #1.
Scrub radius.

Optimum steering is quite a subjective subject.  Manufacturers
put a bit of thought into packaging, weight bias, and cost.
Customer needs / skills are also a major factor.  Too quick
and too positive steering will most likely cause the average
driver [95+% of buyers] to over correct  [The best illustration
I have seen concerning over-correction is the Falcon in the GM
movie about the Corvair called 'Car on Trial'] and in the case
of higher center of gravity vehicles this can result in roll over.

Back in the day when I was building late model stock racing cars
my choice of steering was a manual recirculating worm and sector
gear box from GM with the optional quick steering worm.

Rules required these racers to weigh a minimum of 3250 lbs.
Ours was powered by a 427 Chevy stroked to 467 cu in. and
driving the rear wheels.  Class tires [tyres] had no tread pattern
and an 11 inch wide contact patch.

Most of these cars created a great deal of fatigue in the driver
and rack and pinion steering increased that problem.  Adding
power steering reduced the strength required and even helped
to cover up the harshness of the R&P system.  Of course, I
did not want to give up horsepower to drive a power steering
unit so I contracted a major wheel manufactruer to custom
build wheels that would maintain a 1 inch scrub radius.  The
steering effort was low enough that virtually anyone could
drive and even park this car.  This was not a great break
through or discovery on my part.  The Chevy Suburban with
manual steering we used as a tow vehicle had the very same
1 inch scrub radius.

To reinforce Alan's statement concerning newer not always
being better ... The steering wheel effort of current models
equiped with power steering is now greater than that old
Suburban or any Corvair with manual steering!
Ken P