<VV> Heat and Vapor Lock

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jul 6 21:40:37 EDT 2009

Need clarification of what you are experiencing.

If you can start cold and drive a short OR long distance with no
trouble, then stop for 10 minutes or so and a restart results in running
for only a few minutes, that is vapor lock.

If, you can start cold and only run a short trip before it shuts down,
and restart lasts only a few minutes (if that), that is a clogged sock
or such.

Which are you experiencing?

FWIW, back in the early 80s even the 69s with the return line would
vapor lock with the gas back then. Electric was the only cure for me.
BUT, many are still running  with the mechanical pump YMMV. First check
the air seal around the engine, so hot air exiting the engine is not
drawn right back into the fan across the fuel lines.

Carry an iced beverage and pour over the fuel pump after a 10 minute
stop. That got me back on the road more than a few times back then.

Frank DuVal